About Karen Aruba
Karen Aruba is a self-taught illustrator based in Hong Kong specializing in sketching related to travel and cultural theme. With a passion for art, she derives inspiration from everything she comes across by incorporating themes of energy, peace and happiness.
She is also an event specialist with solid and profound experiences in event management from concept ideas to final execution with market strategy in collaboration with international brands, corporates, associations and NGO, etc.
Her art brand, named ‘Karen Aruba Art’, is inspired by the year she spent as a child in Aruba with her mother’s family. Aruba is a tiny Dutch Caribbean island known as ‘One Happy Island’, a cheerful island full of happiness and energy.
Her popular family story with her father, ‘A Mahjong Story’, is an intimate tale intricately linked with Hong Kong art & culture, showcasing how this city’s traditional mahjong craftsmanship integrated with artistry. Her popular “A Mahjong Story” illustrations have bridged the gap between traditional cultures and modern lifestyles and passes the skills and know-how from the old generation to the new. Her story was featured in DesignInspire 2017 & 2019. The collaboration between Karen and her father, and a creative design team for ‘Travel Mahjong City’ garnered a number of awards.
Charity and community work is another commitment of Karen. Every year, Karen embarks on a ‘Care & Love Charity Campaign’ which helps and supports people in need through her arts and crafts. In the last few years, her charity campaign has made contributions to a number of local charities.
‘Art is a process of creation. We create happiness with heART’ – Karen Aruba Art
- Hong Kong largest Mahjong Art and Craftsmanship Exhibition, Hong Kong Youth Square – Jan – Feb 2020
- DesignInspire – Dec 2019 & 2017
- International Aruba Art Fair – Nov 2019
- PMQ Solo Art Exhibition Mar – May 2019
- My Sunshine Café Exhibition – Aug 2018
- Sai Kung Art Exhibition Aug – 2018
- Illustrated Product ‘Open the table’, The 31st Hong Kong Prints Award Home Décor Category 2019, Champion
- Take2 Tote Bag Project, Design Intelligence Award (DIA) 2019, Silver Award
- Take2 Tote Bag Project, Hong Kong Digital Prints Awards 2019, Merit
- Travel Mahjong City, The 30th Edition of Hong Kong Prints Awards (Merit), Merit
- Travel Mahjong City collection, K11 D Project Finalists 2018
- Travel Mahjong City, Hong Kong Smart Design Award 2018, Judge Award
- Lenovo illustration FB competition 2016, Merit
About Mahjong Craftsman Master Ricky Cheung
Having almost 40 years hand-carved mahjong tile experience, master Ricky Cheung started learning hand-carved tiles from his parents when he was in secondary school. He is not only a professional mahjong craftsman but also an innovator to develop machinery to support his father’s mahjong manufacturing business in 1980-2000ss.
Although the business was still not be able to sustain in 2009 due to the severe competition from mainland China, the spirit of the mahjong craftsmanship stays alive. Cheung has finally retired in 2018 and is now fully engaged with artistic and creative mahjong craftmanship development inspired by her daughter with a mission to preserve Hong Kong culture.
Ricky is a very cheerful, talkative and young looking craftsman.